Due to Security Concerns, we do not  respond to unsolicited emails nor do we open unsolicited attachments.  Please call our office for assistance

PO Box 2214       Oregon City OR 97045       503-656-0699 


Tax Filing Dates, Extensions,
Quarterly Estimates and Amended Returns

Home Page

Your Personal Taxes

Tax News You Can Use

Itemized Deductions

Federal Tax Deduction Amounts

Business Accounting & Taxes

Financial Services


Comments on this website are informational in nature and are not intended to
be interpreted as specific tax advice.   The comments cannot be used to avoid taxes under the Internal Revenue Code or the regulations of other tax authorities. Furthermore, this website is not intended, and should not be interpreted, to support the promotion or marketing of any tax avoidance schemes.


Date last modified:

Your personal income taxes are due by April 15, unless you file an extension, which gives you until October 15 to file your return.  If you file a return after October 15, the IRS can assess a failure to file penalty. 

An extension applies only to the tax paperwork.  IF YOU HAVE A TAX LIABILITY, IT MUST PAID BY APRIL 15 OR YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO INTEREST AND PENALTIES.  If you are an Oregon resident, this also applies to your Oregon income tax.  In the state of Oregon, if you are subject to any of the local taxes (Tri-Met, City of Portland, etc.), they must be paid by April 15, as well.  Usually payments postmarked by April 15 are considered "on time". 

Many taxpayers who are self-employed or retired pay quarterly estimates of their tax liability.  If you anticipate owing $1,000 or more on April 15, the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue want you to pay quarterly estimates.  An alternative would be to have tax withheld from income you receive such as pension payments or Social Security.  Estimates are due April 15, June 15, September 15 and January 15.  The IRS can assess a penalty if an estimated payment is late.  Oregon residents who pay their 4th quarter payment by December 31 may use it as an itemized deduction on that year's taxes.

When the 15th falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Federal Holiday, then the due date becomes the following Monday, or Tuesday if Monday is a Federal Holiday.

You have a limited amount of time in which you can amend a previously-filed tax return.  In most cases, you can only go back three years from the original due date to amend a return and receive a refund.  For example, the last date to amend a 2015 tax return, which was originally due on April 15, 2016 will be April 15, 2019.

Other "tax entities" such as S-Corps, Estates, etc. have different filing dates and extension requirements.  Be sure to note the filing deadline on your calendar.  There may be stiff penalties for late filing of returns.

Contact our office for more information about tax filing deadlines, extensions and estimated payments.  We can help you plan in order to avoid paying unnecessary interest and penalties.