Due to Security Concerns, we do not  respond to unsolicited emails nor do we open unsolicited attachments.  Please call our office for assistance

PO Box 2214       Oregon City OR 97045       503-656-0699




Home Page

Your Personal Taxes

Tax News You Can Use

Itemized Deductions

Federal Tax Deduction Amounts

  Business Accounting & Taxes

Financial Services


Comments on this website are informational in nature and are not intended to
be interpreted as specific tax advice.   The comments cannot be used to avoid taxes under the Internal Revenue Code or the regulations of other tax authorities. Furthermore, this website is not intended, and should not be interpreted, to support the promotion or marketing of any tax avoidance schemes.


Date last modified:

Partnerships are like the S Corp in that the Tax Return is an informational return.  The form K-1 reports the partnership's income or loss and is given to each partner.  Partners pay both self-employment and income taxes on their personal returns, which usually means they pay estimated quarterly taxes. Some expenses, like health insurance, are not deductible to the partnership but are passed through on the K-1 to the partners to be deducted on their personal returns.

Partners are not employees of their business.  Their "pay" is considered a draw against earnings.  Partners are considered "general partners" and are personally liable for any torts or debts of the business, as well as actions of the other partners.  To become a partner in a partnership, the person makes a financial investment in the business which then determines the partner's ownership percentage.

The partnership should have a partnership agreement, buy/sell agreements and succession documents on file at time of forming the partnership. Succession agreements are especially necessary in a two-person partnership because the death of one partner effectively terminates the partnership.

Oregon assesses a minimum $150.00 tax on all Partnerships.  It is due when the return is filed or when the extension is filed, whichever is done first.  Other states may have different rules regarding the taxation of partnership income.


Business Tax Tips




Limited Liability Company

Sole Proprietorship

Employee or Independent Contractor?

Hobby or Business?